This is my favorite painting.
If this seems familiar, it’s because you’ve seen it before. You have, trust me. Maybe not in person (you can see it with your own eyes at the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan), and maybe not in its original form. This, ladies and gentlemen, is Vincent Van Gogh’s magnum opus. Some people prefer Starry Night Over The Rhone, but for sheer emotion and beauty, I go to The Starry Night. I could get lost in the swirls of blue and white. Now, I’m no art major, so I won’t go into the technical details of the painting. But I will go into into its various reincarnations in pop culture.
- Crossing over into science fiction and fantasy
- Strutting down New York Fashion Week: the Rodarte Spring 2012 collection took its inspiration from Van Gogh, with dreamy fabrics, rich colors and feminine silhouettes
- Let them eat cake: You could totally make this in your spare time.
- La-dee-da: Woody Allen pays his tributes to Van Gogh as well with the movie poster for Midnight In Paris.
- And finally, for the artsy fartsy in you: In case you don’t have the artistic skills to match Van Gogh’s, you might want to consider painting your nails instead.